Book of the Week!!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Last week in speech was so much fun! In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, I decided to dedicate my whole week to pirates! Some of the other classes I work with joined into the fun as well! Take a peek into my speech room and check out what we have been up to....
All of my activities were centered around the book, How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long. I used this book with all grade levels as well as with both my speech and language groups. I adjusted the activities based on age and goals. 

All of my students made their own paper plate pirate! 

Each student decided if they wanted to be a pirate or not based on what they learned about pirates in the book. They put a sticker in the yes or no column and shared why they chose that answer. 
These were some of my answers:
I want to be a pirate because.....
they don't have to eat vegetables!
they find treasure!
I want a pet parrot.

I don't want to be a pirate because....
they have green teeth.
they are mean!
they don't have manners.
they are smelly because they don't take a bath!

My articulation groups listed /r/ words for the Pirates Say Arrrgh! activity. 


You can download my entire pirate unit here (some fun pirate songs I found are also included!)



Powered by Blogger.