Where's My Mummy?

Friday, October 12, 2012
I love, love, love the story, Where's My Mummy? by Carolyn Crimi. This is an adorable, not so scary, story of little baby mummy that does not want to go to bed. Instead, he plays "hide and shriek" and runs into some  Halloween creatures along the way.
There are so many fabulous activities you can do with this story. Here are some ideas of goals you can work on with this book:

  • comprehension
  • vocabulary
  • sequencing
  • story predicting
  • articulation (read along or fill in the story blanks)
  • story retell
  • categories (things you see on Halloween)
Here is an activity I did with my students. After we read the story out loud, we did a shared writing activity on chart paper. We titled the paper "When I'm Scared, My Mummy...." and each students answered what their "mummy" (mommy) does to make them feel better when they are scared. Some of the answers you get will be pretty funny! One of my students told me that when he is scared, his mom gives him a dollar! Here is a picture of our display!


After the read aloud, each student created their own baby mummy. To make the mummy, I gave each child a paper plate. Then, they shredded some paper and glued the paper to the plate.  I pre-cut black eyes for them and they drew on a smiley face or scared face. Last year I used googly eyes. To check out my similar activity from last year, click here. Here is an up close example of our baby mummy!



This book is always such a hit! 

Powered by Blogger.